Monday, March 11, 2013

Completeness at Theater Wit

Chris and I went for a VERY long journey into Chicago down 290 which included a sing-along where he found his voice. Call me crazy but I find the tail lights, honking, and darting between lanes to be kinda charming. However, I probably only think this because I wasn't the one driving and wasn't particularly stressed out about being late. If I was on my way to an interview or something I would probably be laying on the horn screaming, "YOU PIG FUCKER!" 

Theater Wit 

First of all we loved Theater Wit. We got there about 5 minutes late and they let us in during a set change, which I thought was nice. They had a bar with quirky drinks. Their hot apple cider was awesome. The valet parking was also very convenient and only $10. 

Completeness 

Since I'm a playwright most of my criticisms are for the writing of the play. Even though we missed the first scene, within 5 to 10 minutes it was pretty clear what we had missed. The dialogue was amusing but there were a lot of long monologues that didn't really contribute anything to character development or further the plot (at least not after the first 3 minutes anyway). I felt that the character development was so-so and I didn't really care about what happened to them even though I was supposed to. I felt there were some serious flaws with the pacing and flow of the play that also contributed to this indifference about our protagonists' fate. Anyway, the acting seemed to be pretty good. The theater was intimate. I liked the set design, it was simple which put the focus on the characters, good for a character driven plot. There was a technical difficulty towards the end of the play which I think kind of threw the actors off in the final scene. 

Overall 

I wouldn't see this particular play again, nor would I strongly recommend it to anyone. However, I would certainly return to Theater Wit to see other productions. It was a good night out. My fiance isn't a huge fan of theater but this experience has helped change his mind. 

Score

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment