Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Explorations of a Scoundrel Husband: Part One

"What's wrong?" His breath sour. Her face of stone. Her hollow eyes penetrating him as he finally manages to lock the door behind him. Am I late? Did I forget something? Her birthday isn't til July... She knows. Does she smell the sex or cheap perfume or motel soap? Does she see the guilt in my eyes? On my face? In my hair and body language? Honey, I love you. Honey, I think there's something wrong. I'm not happy. I need help. I need you. Honey, it didn't mean anything. I'm sorry. I don't know where I'd be without you. Honey you mean the world to me and those eyes! They were so beautiful. Compassionate. Vibrant! But now... Tell me what's wrong! You used to come to me and you'd cry in my arms and I'd listen when you needed it and make a stupid joke and you'd smile and it's the most beautiful thing and I don't want to believe it's gone. Now you come home on the phone with one of your girlfriends. You make dinner. We eat in silence with intermittent grunting amounting to something like, "did you take the trash out?" Honey, where did the romance go? What happened to forever? Is this true love or is it--

"Nothing, I'm going to bed."

"Oh...okay. Good night." 

No comments:

Post a Comment